The Stop AAPI Hate reporting center was launched in March of 2020 in response to the escalation in xenophobia and bigotry toward Asian American and Pacific Islander communities in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Their goal is to track and respond to reported incidents of hate, violence, harassment, discrimination, shunning and child bullying.
Additionally, they provide multi-lingual resources, support community-based safety measures and restorative justice efforts, and advocate for local, state, and national policies that reinforce human rights and civil rights protections. This work is done with the understanding that in order to address anti-Asian racism, we must work to end all forms of structural racism against Black, Indigenous and other communities of color.
On their Act Now page, the organization lists a number of resources - including what to do if you are the victim of or witness to an incident of hate - and ways you can get involved to help make lasting change.
- Encouraging those who have experienced or witnessed acts of hate toward the AAPI communities to report an incident at StopAAPIHate.org. The reporting form is available in 11 languages and these reports guide policy development and advocacy.
- Donating to local efforts through the Movement Hub, a platform of 40 US AAPI organizations that advance racial equity and intersectional justice and are all part of the Shared Liberation Network.
- Asking your elected officials what they are doing to increase resources for survivors and their families and for intervention and prevention-based programs, such as anti-racism education in schools and communities.
- Advocating for expanded civil rights protections that would safeguard Asian Americans and others from harassment and discriminatory treatment in private businesses.
- Supporting Ethnic Studies in your local school districts and educational institutions, which teaches the sources of our country’s anti-Asian racism and helps promote racial empathy and solidarity.
- And, of course, supporting local Asian-owned businesses, which have been impacted before the first COVID-19 case was even confirmed in the U.S.
Go to StopAAPIHate.org and click "ACT NOW" for more actions, details, resources, and more.
So, if supporting AAPI communities and ending white supremacy is important to you, be sure to tell everyone you know about Taking Action to #StopAsianHate and Protecting APPI Communities so that others in your network can spread the word too.
Advocate for expanded civil rights protections safeguarding Asian Americans and others
Support Ethnic Studies in your local school districts and educational institutions
Support local Asian-owned businesses
EDUCATE YOURSELF & SHARE
Posted March 31, 2021; Researched and written by Best of the Left Communications Director, Amanda Hoffman
Hear the segment in the context of Best of the Left Edition #1408: Anti-Asian Hate and White Ignorance