Air Date: 4–9-2019
Today we take a look at the overwhelming benefits to society of labor, health and safety regulations and how they only people who don't come out ahead are those who have to pay for them
Get AD FREE Shows & Bonus Content: Support our show on Patreon!
Deregulation is the status quo, and it always drags the economy down by creating a race to the bottom and arguments against regulation always end up looking absurd in retrospect
The rise of neoliberalism has disregarded workers rights by design. Walking off the job together has the power to change.
Katy on stories of misogyny in the workplace, the hatred that comes out when a worker becomes pregnant, and the life-threatening risks of working while pregnant in unsafe environments.
Deregulations cause death spirals in business. Robert Reich joins to talk about the myth of deregulation and the free market. Average Americans pay a huge price for the myth.
Take action! Click the title and/or scroll down for quick links and resources from this segment.
So what should we do? Learn, organize, fight. Work towards unions, build better unions, build skills and keep working.
Poverty is a cancer and social services are bandaids. We need sweeping legislative change to tackle poverty properly.
Ch. 8: Debating health care with a libertarian - Heather from Texas
Ch. 9: Final comments explaining the historical accident of our current health care system and the need to break the bone in order to reset it
1. Support California's Assembly Bill 5 & Encourage Passage in Your State
2. Support the Workplace Democracy Act (Sanders/Pocan)
- Call your members of congress at (202) 224-3121
3. More Info on Big Tech Lobbying: Uberinterference: Uber & Lyft Running Over Local Democracy
EDUCATE YOURSELF & SHARE
Rights at Risk: Gig Companies Campaign to Upend Employment As We Know It (National Employment Law Project)
Advancing Workers Rights In Contract Employment (National Employment Law Project)
Marketplace Platforms and Employers Under State Law - Why We Should Reject Corporate Solutions and Support Worker-Led Innovation (National Employment Law Project)
The Con of The Side Hustle (NY Times)
Researched & written by BOTL Communications Director Amanda Hoffman
MUSIC (Blue Dot Sessions):
- Opening Theme: Loving Acoustic Instrumental by John Douglas Orr
- Take a Tiny Train - Ray Catcher
- Inessential - Bayou Birds
- Flattered - Delray
- Waterbourne - Algea Fields
- This fickle world - Theo Bard
- The Rampart - Castle Danger
- Voicemail Music: Low Key Lost Feeling Electro by Alex Stinnent
- Closing Music: Upbeat Laid Back Indie Rock by Alex Stinnent
Produced by Jay! Tomlinson
Thanks for listening!
Visit us at BestOfTheLeft.com
Support the show via Patreon
Follow at Twitter.com/BestOfTheLeft
Like at Facebook.com/BestOfTheLeft
Contact me directly at Jay@BestOfTheLeft.com