Episode Sponsors: Madison-Reed.com + Promo Code: Left
Get AD FREE Shows & Bonus Content: Support our show on Patreon!
Paul Rosenberg helps explain the naked, anti-Democratic power grabs by many GOP legislators in the wake of the 2018 election. They rely on a lack of public awareness, abetted by a lack of media sunlight.
In Michigan, GOPers are jamming through last-minute legislation to block the reforms voters had adopted to expand voting rights.
Jane, Ezra, and Matt talk about state-level GOP power grabs
The recent anti-democratic power grabs from the GOP aren't just reprehensible in principle but are especially horrific as they target the poor.
In North Carolina, the GOP-controlled legislature is hypocritically ramming through new Photo ID voting restrictions, even with the state in the midst of a massive GOP absentee ballot election fraud scandal in the state’s 9th Congressional district.
What happens when American politics just doesn’t seem fair?
Voting rights activists are hailing a new House bill that aims to restore voting rights to millions, crack down on the influence of dark money in politics and restore the landmark Voting Rights Act. The bill has been dubbed the For the People Act.
Watch as Lessig invokes the memory of Doris "Granny D" Haddock to illustrate just how significant HR 1 (and the fight to get it passed) will be.
Ch. 9: Gregorian calendar in use due to colonization - Anonymous
Ch. 10: How do we facilitate the movement of people to the left? + The shutdown is a ripoff - Laura from Alameda, CA
Ch. 11: Final comments on the campaign for the National Popular Vote
- Opening Theme: Loving Acoustic Instrumental by John Douglas Orr
- Entrap - Darby (Blue Dot Sessions)
- PolyCoat - The Cabinetmaker (Blue Dot Sessions)
- The Rampart - Castle Danger (Blue Dot Sessions)
- Astrisx - Bodytonic (Blue Dot Sessions)
- Begrudge - Darby (Blue Dot Sessions)
- Sunday Lights - Onesuch Village (Blue Dot Sessions)
- Celestial Navigation - Aeronaut (Blue Dot Sessions)
- Voicemail Music: Low Key Lost Feeling Electro by Alex Stinnent
- Closing Music: Upbeat Laid Back Indie Rock by Alex Stinnent
Produced by Jay! Tomlinson
Thanks for listening!
Visit us at BestOfTheLeft.com
Support the show via Patreon
Follow at Twitter.com/BestOfTheLeft
Like at Facebook.com/BestOfTheLeft
Contact me directly at [email protected]