Air Date: 5–31-2019
Today we take a look at the renewed energy in the anti-choice movement in the wake of the appointment of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. We have entered a new phase, having transitioned from the "chipping away" phase to the "full frontal assault" phase.
Amazon USA | Amazon CA | Amazon UK | Clean Choice Energy
Get AD FREE Shows & Bonus Content: Support our show on Patreon!
Ch. 1: Oriaku Njoku & Jill Heaviside on Abortion Rights in Georgia and Beyond - CounterSpin - Air Date 5-16-19
Jill Heaviside is a lawyer and If/When/How HIV–Reproductive Justice Fellow with SisterLove, Inc. And Oriaku Njoku is co-founder and executive director of Access Reproductive Care—Southeast. They join us to talk about abortion rights in Georgia and beyond.
Ch. 2: Don't Let Republicans Normalize ANY Abortion Bans - The Majority Report - Air Date 5-17-19
All abortions should be legal, full stop.
Ch. 3: How Fury Can Fuel the Fight for Reproductive Rights - The Brian Lehrer Show - Air Date 5-19-19
Rebecca Traister, author of, most recently, Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger (Simon & Schuster, 2018), talks about how angry women can channel their rage to fight back.
Ch. 4: Myth-Busting the Anti-Choice ‘Born Alive’ Bills - Boom! Lawyered - Air Date 3-6-19
Anti-choice politicians are pushing a new legislative strategy to demonize their opponents and confuse the public: so-called Born Alive bills.
Ch. 5: New Abortion Laws ‘Go Against Common Sense’ - The Real News - Air Date 5-18-19
Discussing why the calls to boycott anti-abortion states is not the right strategy in this particular case
Ch. 6: The Corporate Sponsors of the War on Women - Thom Hartmann - Air Date 5-20-19
Like most Republican legislation, there is always a corporation behind it, and the draconian abortion bans passed by Georgia and Alabama are no different
Ch. 7: What Life In Post-Roe America Will Be Like - The Majority Report with Sam Seder - Air Date 5-13-19
Robin Marty on her new book, "Handbook For Post-Roe America."
Ch. 8: Defend & Strengthen the Future of Reproductive Justice Beyond Roe v. Wade - Best of the Left Activism
Take action! Click the title and/or scroll down for quick links and resources from this segment.
Ch. 9: State Abortion Bans And The Looming Challenge To Roe V. Wade - Diane Rehm On My Mind - Air Date 5-16-19
Alabama now has the most restrictive abortion law in the country. What the new law – and others like it around the country – mean for the future of abortion rights.
Ch. 10: Framing the 2020 election - Conner from Worcester, MA
Ch. 11: How to raise a good socialist child? - Alan from Connecticut
Ch. 12: Final comments on accelerating the pain to speed the arrival of the backlash
*REMINDER: Abortion is still legal in all 50 states*
Become an abortion clinic escort:
- Find a clinic near you via National Abortion Federation & Abortion Care Network, and ask what help they need.
Support organizations helping people access reproductive care:
Excerpt from The Cut article "What You Can Do to Help Women in States With Extreme Abortion Bans":
- Access Reproductive Care - Southeast: ARC is a volunteer organization that helps families in 12 states across the southeast access reproductive care.
- National Network of Abortion Funds: NNAF is a network of more than 80 funds in at least 38 states that seeks to eliminate economic barriers for low-income individuals seeking an abortion.
- The Yellowhammer Fund: Based in Alabama, Yellowhammer not only provides funding for abortions at one of the city’s three clinics, but also helps with other barriers to access patients may face, such as travel or lodging. (Yellowhammer is part of NNAF.)
- Mississippi Reproductive Freedom Fund: Run entirely by volunteers, the Mississippi Reproductive Freedom Fund helps people access abortion, and provides both support and resources to parents.
- Women Have Options: This Ohio-based organization provides financial assistance and support to low-income patients seeking reproductive care, abortion included.
- National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum: NAPAWF is a multi-issue community-organizing and policy-advocacy organization that fights for policy changes that would benefit women, transgender, and non-binary Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
- Gateway Women’s Access Fund: Based in Missouri, Gateway provides both educational and financial support to people in the state who can’t afford the full cost of an abortion.
Push politicians and candidates to support:
Read Sen. Warren's Multi-Point Plan to Protect Choice
Talk to friends and family about this issue, share your story & check out the #YouKnowMe hashtag.
EDUCATE YOURSELF & SHARE
What You Can Do to Help Women in States With Extreme Abortion Bans (The Cut)
How to Help Protect Abortion Rights in Alabama and Georgia (The New York Times)
The corporations backing Alabama's war on women (Popular Information)
When life begins and ends (Washington Post)
A woman signed Alabama’s abortion ban into law. We need to talk about that. (Think Progress)
Written by BOTL Communications Director Amanda Hoffman
MUSIC (Blue Dot Sessions):
- Opening Theme: Loving Acoustic Instrumental by John Douglas Orr
- Cicle Veroni - Cicle Kadde
- Gondola Blue - Towboat
- Waltz and Fury - Macrame
- Gusty Hollow - Migration
- Hickory Shed - Onesuch Village
- No Smoking - Sunday at Slims
- The Rampart - Castle Danger
- This fickle world - Theo Bard
- Voicemail Music: Low Key Lost Feeling Electro by Alex Stinnent
- Closing Music: Upbeat Laid Back Indie Rock by Alex Stinnent
Produced by Jay! Tomlinson
Thanks for listening!
Visit us at BestOfTheLeft.com
Support the show via Patreon
Listen on iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify | Alexa Devices | +more
Check out the BotL iOS/Android App in the App Stores!
Follow at Twitter.com/BestOfTheLeft
Like at Facebook.com/BestOfTheLeft
Contact me directly at [email protected]
Review the show on iTunes and Stitcher!
Be the first to comment
Sign in with